Recipe by OceanLuvinGranny
I found this recipe on one of my low carb diabetic recipe sites. We loved it and I could eat it because it was so low in carbs which wasn't hard on my blood surgar levels. Plus, it tasted really good. I ate it over 1/4 c of cooked rice which had 36 g of carbs and the chicken dish has only 9.5 g carbs. So, it gave me only 45 g of carbs for my dinner. I had been trying to keep it to 45g carbs per meal so I loved this one! The 28 minute cooking time is for the chicken dish only. There is another 20 minutes to cook the rice. That makes it 48 minutes for cooking time.
- 1 teaspoon 80% fat unsalted margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 1 cup apple, diced unpeeled
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet over medium heat melt margarine.
- Add almonds and cook about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoons of the curry powder and toss lightly to coat. Then, place almonds on paper towels to drain.
- In same skillet, saute the apples, onion and muchrooms for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining curry powder and the flour.
- Cook over low heat stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
- Dissolve the chicken boullion granules in the boiling water then add this and the lemon juice and milk to the skillet.
- Continue to cook over low heat stirring constantly until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken and cook over low heat until heated through.
- Serve over 1/4 c cooked rice.
- For the non-diabetics you can have way more rice or pasta if you prefer.