Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve this different soup with Escalloped Apples au Gratin.
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped blanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups water or 1 1⁄4 cups stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh orange rind
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- In a heavy skillet, cook the almonds in butter, with onion, garlic, ginger and salt over a low flame, stirring until the almonds are toasty and the onions are soft (8 - 10 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Using a blender or a food processor or a hand held emersion blender, puree the sauteed mixture in combined water (or stock) and orange juice. Add sherry to taste. Make sure the puree is very smooth. Transfer it to a saucepan.
- Stir in the orange rind and the black and cayenne peppers. Heat the soup gently (just heat it - don't cook it) Serve it as soon as it's hot and garnish each with.
- Assorted Delightful Toppings:.
- slivered toasted almonds.
- finely minced cloves.
- thin rounds of fresh orange rind.