Recipe by **Jubes**
These are a great sweet treat to serve with coffee. They are very simple to make and only have 3 ingredients. You can serve them as is or in small paper patty cases. I usually make a double batch. They keep well in an airtight container- though dont last more than a few days in my home! As a bonus this recipe is also gluten free as it has no flours- just ensure you use pure icing sugar in the recipe.
Top Review by brokenburner
A direct quote: "I don't like almonds, but if I did like almonds, I'd give this five stars." I guess that about says it all! They were really easy to make ... the hardest part was finding almond flour! When I finally did find it, it was so expensive that I decided to just grind my own. I used a 9-oz can of almonds, and I had plenty of "flour" left over... but I only got 14 snowballs, not 24! Thanks for posting. Made for Photo Swap, January '08.
- 1 cup ground almonds (measure 1 cup from ground almonds or almond meal)
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar, plus extra to dust (confectioners sugar)
- 1 egg white
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 160°C ( 325°F ).
- Process ground almons in a food processor until a paste forms. This shoud take a couple of minutes. Use shorter bursts on the processor until completed.
- Add icing sugar and eggwhite and process until combined and smooth consistency.
- Roll 2 teaspoons of mixture at a time into balls. Then roll each ball into sifted icing sugar to coat thickly. (I make mine on the small side- will fit into a chocolate paper/foil wrapper after being cooked. You can make larger ones if you wish).
- Place on baking trays lined with baking paper and bake for 10 minutes. They will puff up as they cook.
- Cool on trays and then store in airtight containers.