Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A yummy snack mix my family enjoys.
- 1 (17 5/8 ounce) package Rice Chex
- 2 3⁄4 cups sliced almonds
- 1 cup sugar (I use Splenda)
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Place cereal and almonds in a bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and butter.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 250° to 266° (hard-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat and stir in extract.
- Pour over cereal mixture and mix well.
- Spread onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets and cool.
- Break apart.
- Store in an airtight container.
I can't really rate this since I made a lot of changes! I found out, after I had already started the recipe, that I didn't have quite enough corn syrup on hand. So I wound up using about 1/2 cup corn syrup and 1/2 cup of honey. Then I replaced the Rice Chex cereal with popcorn! Then, to crisp the popcorn, I baked it for 30 minutes or more (I wasn't paying complete attention) and stirred it every 10 minutes (every 5 towards the end). Anyway, we loved it, so thanks! :)
Just fabulous! We really enjoyed snacking on this mix; I reduced the recipe by half, and used sugar. I couldn't find my candy thermometer, so I used water to determine my 'hard ball stage.' I think I took it off too early, tho I corrected it by baking at 300º for 20 minutes, stirring well after 10. Thanks so much for sharing, bmcnichol! I know that I will be making this again! :-)