Jan Marie's Note:
This is my version of a wonderful recipe from Washington State Bed & Breakfast Cookbook 2nd edition, Carol Faino & Doreen Hazledine. I've experimented with adding lemon, orange or lime zest (using a microplaner) and all three versions are great. This has got to be the easiest recipe to make, and quick too. They literally melt in your mouth and everyone who eats them asks for the recipe. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds (about 1/4 lb almonds with the skin on, Note, I chop mine into chunks first with a knife, then grind)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (optional) or 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (optional) or 1 tablespoon grated lime zest (optional)
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Combine butter, salt and sugar in mixer with paddle attachment.
- 3Add ground almonds and mix together.
- 4Mix into firm dough and form into 1 ¼ inch ball.
- 5Flatten with fingers.
- 6Bake for 10-14 minutes. Best if baked light brown, not dark and crispy.
- 7Cool on rack and dust with powdered sugar while still warm.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Shortbread Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.3
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 27.1 mg
- Sodium 105.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 2.3 g