Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Yummy buttery almond cookies. Delicious with tea.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- sliced almonds, for decorating the top of the shortbread (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Have ready a 6 inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, almond meal and salt. Add this mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and beat just until incorporated.
- Press the shortbread dough evenly into the tart pan.
- Prick the surface of the shortbread with a fork to prevent the shortbread from puffing up.
- Using a sharp knife, score the top of the shortbread into 8 even pieces.
- Gently press the flaked almonds in a decorative pattern on the top of the shortbread.
- Place in preheated oven and bake until it is nicely browned, roughly one hour 15 minutes. Transfer shortbread to rack and cool for five minutes before removing from tart pan.
- Place the shortbread round on a cutting board and cut along the score lines into 8 wedges.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.