Recipe by Simply Chris
Easy, yet really elegant and so tasty. This has got to be one of the most wonderful cakes I have ever eaten. I got this recipe from a Christian Brothers & Blue Diamond Almond ad in a magazine back in the late 70's. It is still a favorite and people always ask for the recipe.
Top Review by Debbie R.
Pretty easy to put together. To toast almonds, put them in the 350 oven for 10-15 minutes. This is excellent if you let it sit for one day to allow flavors to meld. It was also perfectly moist the day after too. This cake went over very well at a potluck I attended. Nearly everyone took a piece, and this was a really spoiled crowd regarding dessert choices. I got 11 slices out of one half; they were thin enough so that people could taste another dessert if they wanted to, but thick enough so that they held up as individual pieces. This cake can feed a small army in a potluck setting. I really appreciated that. And you just can't beat it for its visual impact on a dessert table. Just beautiful and not something you see every day.
- 18 1⁄2 ounces yellow cake mix (NOT pudding type)
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cream sherry
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (3 5/8 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons firm butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, sliced and toasted
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon cream sherry
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot water
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, sherry, oil, pudding mix and nutmeg.
- Mix at low speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl as necessary.
- Mix at medium speed 3 minutes, again scraping bowl as necessary.
- (Or beat by hand about 5 minutes.).
- Pour half the batter into bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl mix first 4 streusel filling ingredients until crumbly.
- Sprinkle evenly over batter in bundt pan.
- Pour in remaining cake batter.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack 15 minutes.
- Unmold from pan and cool completly on rack.
- To make the glaze, mix together the sugar, butter and sherry.
- Add hot water slowly until desired consistency.
- Brush completely cooled cake with sherry glaze and garnish with almond slices.