Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2006-Tunisia. From the " Best of International Cooking" cookbook. I haven't had a chance to try this yet.
- 1 (1 1/4 lb) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 1⁄2 cups sliced almonds
- 3 cups sesame seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Sprinkle almonds and sesame seeds onto a baking sheet. Lightly brown in oven 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a blender or food processor, process browned almonds and sesame seeds about 1/3 at a time until finely ground.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground almond mixture and 1/2 cup sugar; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out thawed pastry; cut into 5 (10-inch) circles. Rinse a 10-inch springform pan with cold water (do not dry pan). Place 1 pastry circle in bottom of wet pan; sprinkle with 1/4 of the almond mixture. Top with another pastry circle. Continue layering pastry circles and almond mixture, ending with a pastry circle. Brush egg yolk over top pastry; cut cake into 12 wedges.
- Bake 30 minutes; reduce heat to 300ºF. Bake 20 to 30 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- In a small saucepan, combine remaining 1 cup sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, boil 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and rose water. Cool syrup slightly. With cake still in pan, pour warm syrup over hot cake. Serve warm.