Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have been extremely interested in the use of rose water in the kitchen and decided to post this recipe. I would suggest using Tonkcat's recipe for rose petal jam Rose Petal Jam for this distinctive pound cake. Take a culinary adventure with me!! Adapted from "New Food of Life: Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking and Ceremonies" by Najmieh Batmanglij
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 2⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1⁄4 cup rose jam
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9-inch tube pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Put the pieces of butter into the large bowl of an electric mixer and set aside about 15 minutes to soften.
- Grind almonds finely in a food processor or blender and set aside.
- When butter has softened, cream with sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir together flour and salt. Slowly add to the creamed mixture, beating until batter is smooth.
- Remove about a third of the batter and add rose water and jam, stirring until smooth.
- Stir the ground almonds and almond extract into the remaining batter.
- Spoon half of the almond batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Spoon all of rose batter into the pan, spreading evenly. Then top with remaining almond batter and spread until smooth.
- Bake cake on center oven rack 50 to 60 minutes or until it tests done. Cool cake in pan 15 minutes, then run a knife around the outside edge and also around the center tube. Invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
GReAT Recipe, just like my mothers! I put it into a bundt cake mold because i didnt feel like finding the cake pan, but it was still good! Thanks ! ! !