Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 cups toasted slivered almonds
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- In a large heavy saucepan, gently boil syrup, sugar, butter and water until"hard crack"; appears on a candy thermometer, 300F (150C).
- Do not stir.
- This step takes at least 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add almonds and stir well.
- Spread on an ungreased cookie sheet and, before candy is allowed to cool, sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- As they melt, spread the chocolate chips evenly over the candy.
- Cool in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Break into bite size pieces.
Excellent! The only change is that I would only bring it to 290F (soft crack stage). Make sure you use a cast iron pan - very important. i put 1/2 the almonds in the mix and the other 1/2 sprinkled over the melted chocolate at the end. recommended: score the roca before it hardens completely, chill in fridge then break along score lines and store at room temperature.
great recipe!yum! used whole chopped almonds because i like them better and used dark and milk chocolate on different batches, both were great!