Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This simple preparation has many of the complex spices of a classically prepared Chinese duck, but it takes little preparation or special skills.
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (2 -3 lb) duck
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons davinci gourmet classic almond syrup
- 1 small oranges or 1 small tangerine, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pat the duck dry and prick all over with a fork.
- Insert the garlic and orange wedges into the cavity of the duck.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond syrup, soy sauce, and 5-spice powder.
- Rub or brush the almond mixture onto the duck. Sprinkle the duck with salt and pepper and place the duck on a rack, breast side down, in a roasting pan.
- Roast the duck, breast side down, in a preheated oven for 40 minutes, then turn the duck, breast side up, and continue to roast for 1 hour.
- The skin should be dark and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve the duck breast and legs whole for an elegant entree, or chop up the duck into bite-sized pieces and serve with spicy chutney as an appetizer.
This was the most delicious duck ever! I've tried other recipes since then, and I don't think I could top the perfection of this yummy dish.