Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Vegetarian Cooking for Dummies.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked brown rice (or about 5 cups cooked rice)
- 3 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 2⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in large skillet and cook celery, onions, pepper, mushrooms and parsley over med heat until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in remaining seasonings.
- Add the uncooked rice and cook for several minutes, mixing well. Transfer the ingredients to a lightly oiled 3-qt casserole. If usng precooked rice, add it in this step.
- Add broth and half of the alomds. Stir until ingredients are well combined.
- Top with remaining almonds and bake, covered, for one hour or until rice is soft and liquid has been absorbed.
Great way to prepare brown rice. I ended up using (2) red peppers & omitted the almonds. My vegy broth was homemade so it didn't have any salt in it and, although we aren't big salt people, we found it needed abit in the mixture. Perfect ratio of rice/broth & cooking time was bang on. Easy & tasty recipe, thanks for sharing.
This is a nice side dish, and a nice change from plain rice. We don't care for green pepper, so I subbed some sliced carrots, which added a nice color. I also used white rice.
This recipe is reviewed for the PAC Fall 06. This is an excellent recipe that I throughly enjoyed. It gives you a Chinese Restaurant aroma while cooking. The taste and texture is excellent and the almond crunch sets it off perfectly.I had a very slight amount of liquid remaining in the dish after the 1 hr baking time. This is great, the leftovers won't dry out and the rice was fully cooked and very tender. I am so pleased that I found this wonderfully healthy and great tasting dish. I can recommend this one highly.