Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe on Everyday Food on PBS.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry preserves
- In electric mixer, cream butter, brown sugar and sugar until light, then beat in egg yolk and lemon extract.
- Measure flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder into a small bowl and stir to mix, then mix into the butter mixture.
- Stir in almonds until well mixed and crumbly.
- Grease an 8 inch square baking dish with butter, then pat half of the dough into bottom of dish.
- Measure preserves into a small dish and stir until it is of an easy spreading consistency; dump onto middle of dough in pan and spread as evenly as possible to 1/4 inch of sides of pan.
- Crumble remaining dough evenly over top, all the way to sides, then press lightly.
- Bake for about 30 minutes in a preheated 350 degree (Fahrenheit) oven.
- Remove from oven and cool completely if you can wait that long, then cut into sixteen squares.