Cook1 hr 30 mins
These no bake, high-protein, high-fiber bars are based upon Melissa Diane Smith’s recipe for Amaretto Protein Bars in her book Going Against the Grain and are a cinch to make. The chocolate topping makes them seem a bit decadent (skip it if you must, they’ll still come out fine) – though dark chocolate, rich in anti-oxidants has now entered the echelon of power foods so I’ll keep it on mine. View the full recipe at http://www.elanaspantry.com/2008/02/01/power-bars/
- 2 cups almonds (raw)
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal (flax seeds ground in a blender)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup almond butter (roasted tastes better)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil
- 4 drops stevia
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dagoba chocolate chips (chocodrops) (optional)
- Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor.
- Pulse briefly, about 10 seconds.
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat,.
- Remove coconut oil from stove, stir stevia, agave and vanilla into oil.
- Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste.
- Press mixture into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocodrops over very low heat, stirring continuously.
- Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens.
- Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars and serve.