Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very rich! One of my favourite cakes. This is good dressed up with frosting, served plain, or with fruit. I quadrupled this recipe, and baked it in two 9"x13" pans to make a cake for my father's 65th birthday party. Note: be sure the almonds are finely ground; if they seem somewhat coarse you should run them through the food processor until quite fine.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup blanched ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Butter and flour a loaf pan or small square pan (8"x8").
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the almond extract and the water.
- Stir together the flour, ground almonds and baking powder.
- Stir this into the wet ingredients.
- Pour evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes for a loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes in the square pan, or in either case until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Excellent! My family LOVED this cake with its strong almond flavor and moist, tender crumb. I used almond meal (same as ground almonds) from Bob's Red Mill.
Delicious almond pound cake! The taste was like a Spritz Cookie in cake form, with a slight crunch in the texture due to the chopped blanched almonds! Delightful! I couldn't agree more with the other reviewers about how quickly and easily the prep came together as well. Thanks for the great recipe!
Wonderful cake! Moist, rich, very tasteful. When the cake was in the oven I re-read the recipe and realized I had forgotten to add the water. But-when the cake was done it didn't seem to have mattered. Next time I will add the water though. Or milk or yogurt like some reviewers have suggested.
Baked it in a loaf pan and it was done in exactly 45 minutes. This is certainly a cake that will be made many more times.
Thanks for posting.