Very rich! One of my favourite cakes. This is good dressed up with frosting, served plain, or with fruit. I quadrupled this recipe, and baked it in two 9"x13" pans to make a cake for my father's 65th birthday party. Note: be sure the almonds are finely ground; if they seem somewhat coarse you should run them through the food processor until quite fine.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Butter and flour a loaf pan or small square pan (8"x8").
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the almond extract and the water.
- Stir together the flour, ground almonds and baking powder.
- Stir this into the wet ingredients.
- Pour evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes for a loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes in the square pan, or in either case until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.