- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut intp pieces
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk (save the ehgg white for the glaze)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg white
- sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Cut the butter with a pastry cutter to make a coarse meal. In a small measuring pitcher combine the sour cream, whole egg, egg yolk, extract, and enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid ingredients.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until blended. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead slightly five or six times.
- For wedges: divide the dough into two equal sized balls. PAt each ball into 6 inch circles, slightly domed in shape. Cut into 8 wedges.
- For rounds: roll dough out to 1/2 inch thick and cut into rounds with a floured biscuit cutter.
- Place wedges or rounds on an ungreased baking sheet, allowing an inch or more between each scone. Brush with egg white and decorate the tops with sliced almonds. Carefully brush a little more egg white on top to help hold the almonds in place.
- Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown.