Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great for brunch :P
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF, adjust a rack to the middle position. Spray a 12 cup regular size muffin tin with some nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and poppy seeds in a large mixing bowl and set aside. Whisk egg, sugar, and almond extract together until combined, then whisk in the buttermilk and melted butter.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour and fold to combine. There should be not large pockets of flour but small streaks may remain. Do not over mix. The batter will be fairly thick.
- Divide the batter evenly into the tin. Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (mine were done in 17 minutes). Flip the muffins out of the tin and cool them right side up on a cooling rack.
I made these for my son and he loves them. I feel they are a little dry, but not too sweet, Good and easy