I won't rave about how good this cake is, just try it and you will see for yourself! if you do not want to use all the icing it may be frozen, the icing is still wonderful without the addition of the Cool Whip, so you may omit if desired but I like it better with it added in :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup white shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 -3 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup poppy seed (can use more)
- 1/2-3/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1Set oven to 350°F (oven set to second-lowest position).
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- 3In a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed cream the sugar with shortening for about 2 minutes.
- 4Add in eggs, almond and vanilla extract; beat until very well combined on high speed.
- 5In a small bowl sift together flour with baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture along with the buttermilk; mix until just combined.
- 6Mix in the poppy seeds.
- 7Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done.
- 8Cool completely.
- 9For the frosting; in a medium bowl cream the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and whipping cream until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- 10Add in confectioners sugar and beat until fluffy (adding in more confectioners sugar or whipping cream if needed until desired consistency is achieved).
- 11Mix in the Cool Whip until completely blended.
- 12Spread over the cake then sprinkle the top with sliced almonds if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Poppy Seed Cake With Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.7
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.5 mg
- Sodium 300.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 58.4 g
- Protein 6.1 g