Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I won't rave about how good this cake is, just try it and you will see for yourself! if you do not want to use all the icing it may be frozen, the icing is still wonderful without the addition of the Cool Whip, so you may omit if desired but I like it better with it added in :)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 -3 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup poppy seed (can use more)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream, unwhipped
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cool whip frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Set oven to 350°F (oven set to second-lowest position).
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed cream the sugar with shortening for about 2 minutes.
- Add in eggs, almond and vanilla extract; beat until very well combined on high speed.
- In a small bowl sift together flour with baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture along with the buttermilk; mix until just combined.
- Mix in the poppy seeds.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool completely.
- For the frosting; in a medium bowl cream the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and whipping cream until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add in confectioners sugar and beat until fluffy (adding in more confectioners sugar or whipping cream if needed until desired consistency is achieved).
- Mix in the Cool Whip until completely blended.
- Spread over the cake then sprinkle the top with sliced almonds if desired.