24 hrs 40 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, divided
- 5 -6 cups thinly sliced crisp pears (4 to 5 Medium Pears)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or 4 tablespoons melted margarine, , divided
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (1/4 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Spread almonds in shallow baking pan.
- 3Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently; cool and cover.
- 4Place sliced pears in large microwavable container.
- 5Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice.
- 6Microwave at HIGH 6 minutes or until tender; cool.
- 7Combine 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in small bowl; cover.
- 8Cover pears and refrigerate overnight.
- 9Place butter in microwavable container.
- 10Microwave at HIGH 20 seconds or until melted.
- 11Lay 2 sheets plastic wrap on work surface to make 20-inch square.
- 12Place 1 phyllo sheet in middle of plastic wrap.
- 13(Cover remaining phyllo dough with damp kitchen towel to prevent dough from drying out).
- 14Brush 1 teaspoon melted butter onto phyllo sheet.
- 15Place second phyllo sheet over first; brush with 1 teaspoon butter.
- 16Repeat layering with remaining sheets of phyllo.
- 17Cover with plastic wrap.
- 18Cover remaining butter.
- 19Refrigerate phyllo dough and butter overnight or up to 1 day.
- 20Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 21Drain reserved pears in colander.
- 22Toss pears with reserved sugar mixture and almond extract.
- 23Melt reserved butter.
- 24Uncover phyllo dough and spread pear mixture evenly over phyllo, leaving 3-inch strip on far long side.
- 25Sprinkle pear mixture with 1/4 cup toasted almonds.
- 26Brush strip with 2 teaspoons melted butter.
- 27Beginning at long side of phyllo opposite 3-inch strip, carefully roll up jelly-roll style, using plastic wrap to gently lift, forming strudel.
- 28Place strudel, seam-side down, onto buttered baking sheet.
- 29Brush top with 1 teaspoon butter.
- 30Bake 20 minutes or until deep golden.
- 31Brush again with 1 teaspoon butter.
- 32Combine remaining% cup toasted almonds with remaining butter; sprinkle on top of strudel.
- 33Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 34Bake an additional 5 minutes.
- 35Cool 10 minutes; sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond-Pear Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.6
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 111.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 3.6 g