Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 hrs
Cook 40 mins
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds, divided
- 5 -6 cups thinly sliced crisp pears (4 to 5 Medium Pears)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or 4 tablespoons melted margarine, , divided
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (1/4 pound)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spread almonds in shallow baking pan.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently; cool and cover.
- Place sliced pears in large microwavable container.
- Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Microwave at HIGH 6 minutes or until tender; cool.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in small bowl; cover.
- Cover pears and refrigerate overnight.
- Place butter in microwavable container.
- Microwave at HIGH 20 seconds or until melted.
- Lay 2 sheets plastic wrap on work surface to make 20-inch square.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet in middle of plastic wrap.
- (Cover remaining phyllo dough with damp kitchen towel to prevent dough from drying out).
- Brush 1 teaspoon melted butter onto phyllo sheet.
- Place second phyllo sheet over first; brush with 1 teaspoon butter.
- Repeat layering with remaining sheets of phyllo.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Cover remaining butter.
- Refrigerate phyllo dough and butter overnight or up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drain reserved pears in colander.
- Toss pears with reserved sugar mixture and almond extract.
- Melt reserved butter.
- Uncover phyllo dough and spread pear mixture evenly over phyllo, leaving 3-inch strip on far long side.
- Sprinkle pear mixture with 1/4 cup toasted almonds.
- Brush strip with 2 teaspoons melted butter.
- Beginning at long side of phyllo opposite 3-inch strip, carefully roll up jelly-roll style, using plastic wrap to gently lift, forming strudel.
- Place strudel, seam-side down, onto buttered baking sheet.
- Brush top with 1 teaspoon butter.
- Bake 20 minutes or until deep golden.
- Brush again with 1 teaspoon butter.
- Combine remaining% cup toasted almonds with remaining butter; sprinkle on top of strudel.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes; sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.