Recipe by Nancy Sneed
This recipe which came from a First Magazine is the absolute best I've ever eaten. Prep time includes peeling the peaches.
Top Review by Sweet Cooker
Oh wow, that was good. I made this for a neighborhood block party and it was gone quickly! I didn't change much, but I made more topping. Love the almonds and nutmeg, really gives it a unique and delicious flavor. I want to make it again soon, seeing as I only got to have one serving. :)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter or 8 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 lbs peaches, about 5
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 375.
- Butter a 9" square baking pan.
- Combine the flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, 1/4 tsp.
- of the nutmeg and the salt.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Mix in almonds.
- Peel the peaches and slice.
- Toss sliced peaches with the lemon juice, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp nutmeg, the cornstarch and almond extract.
- Put the peach mixture in the prepared pan and sprinkle crumb topping on top.
- Bake until top is golden and juices are bubbling, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.