Prep 3 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Obtained from my Mother-in-Law. A fabulous recipe that disappears quickly.
Make and share this Almond Paste Twirl Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- In a large mixer bowl, combine 2 cups flour & yeast.
- On the stove, heat milk, butter, granulated sugar & salt until 115-120 degrees. Don't worry if the butter isn't completely melted.
- Add to dry mixture in bowl.
- Add egg, beating at a low speed for 1/2 minute. Be sure to scrape the bowl during mixing so as to get all yeast incorporated.
- Beat at a high speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining flour (and up to 1/2 cup more to make a soft, knead-able dough).
- Knead on floured surface until smooth.
- Put ball in greased bowl. Flip to grease both sides.
- Cover with damp cloth & let rise in a warm place until double (1-1 1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down & let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll into a rectangle (about 12x18 inches).
- Make the almond filling by creaming together sugar and butter. Stir in slmonds & extract.
- Spread the almond filling over the pastry.
- roll from the long edge & pinch to seal.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheet (can be shaped as necessary to fit onto baking sheet).
- Cut every 1/2 inch to within 1/2 inch of bottom. Gently pull each slice alternately to left & right.
- Let rise in warm place until nearly double (about 1 hour).
- Bake in 375 degree overn for 20-25 minutes.
- While still hot, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
This recipe appeared in Better Homes and Gardens magazine in the 80s and has been a family favorite since then. It doesn't last long at our house.