Recipe by HappyMommy1422
Fantastic muffins! From a newspaper last fall. I think this should be attributed to the Associated Press. The recipe says you can add 1 cup of raspberries, blueberries or blackberries but I've never tried it.
Top Review by LolaG
Great muffins. Easy, healthy and delicious. Perfect for a quick, filling nutritous breakfast. I used a 1/2 all-purpose-1/2 whole wheat flour blend, fat-free half and half instead of soy milk, fresh-squeezed OJ and sliced rather than slivered almonds. I omitted the topping. Thanks for a great healthy recipe that even the kids liked.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup plain soymilk or 1⁄2 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup almond oil or 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 cup slivered almonds, roasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Line a 12-muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a bowl.
- Stir in 3/4 cup wheat germ, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, juice, sugar and oil.
- Add dry ingredients all at once and stir lightly until liquid is absorbed; batter will be lumpy.
- Stir in orange zest and 3/4 cup almonds.
- Divide batter among muffin cups and sprinkle tops with remaining almonds and wheat germ.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and let cool.