1/1 Photo of Almond Orange Macaroons
These are some of the most delicious cookies I have ever tasted. I like to peel the orange zest with my Microplane zester, which gives me a nice, powdery zest, but you can use a potato peeler and cut strips as well, since it will all get mixed up with the sugar in the food processor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the oven rack in the lowest position possible in your oven.
- 2Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- 3Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 4Place the sugar, confectioners' sugar, orange zest and salt in the bowl of a food processor together with the steel knife.
- 5Grind the zest very find with the sugar.
- 6This will usually take 3 20-second whirls of the processor.
- 7Scrape the work bowl with a spatula in between whirls and stir up the sugar mixture.
- 8Scatter the diced almond paste evenly over the sugar mixture and give the processor about two more 10 seconds whirls.
- 9The texture should be like coarse meal.
- 10Again, scrape the work bowl in between whirls.
- 11Add the egg whites and mix with about two 5 second whirls.
- 12Don't forget to scrape the bowl at half-time.
- 13Remove the steel knife and set aside.
- 14Working directly from the food processor bowl, scoop up the dough in rounded 1/2 teaspoonfuls and drop onto the parchment lined baking sheets.
- 15Space the cookies about 2 inches apart, these babies really spread as they bake.
- 16Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until lightly browned and crackly on top, about 20-25 minutes.
- 17Remove the cookies together with the parchment paper to a wire rack to cool.
- 18To remove the cooled cookies from the paper, loosen them carefully around the edges with a spatula, using short strokes.
- 19These are not brittle cookies, and you should get the hang of it soon enough.
- 20You can layer the macaroons between sheets of wax paper in an airtight Tupperware, and store them in a cool, dry spot.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Orange Macaroons
Serving Size: 1 (571 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 42.1
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of