Recipe by Ramona di Coco
Moist, fruity, delicate taste! A traditional Cretan recipe. Try it, you're in for a treat!...
- 320 g ground almonds
- 300 g confectioners' sugar
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 oranges, boiled and mashed
- 4 tablespoons semolina
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons cornflour
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- lemon rind
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup almonds, roasted in oven
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg whites till fluffy. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until well-combined and white. Add mashed oranges, semolina, egg yolks beaten, baking powder and almonds.
- Mix well until you have a homogeneous batter.
- With a wooden spatula, add egg whites to batter.
- Pour the mixture in slightly buttered pan.
- Bake at 180°C, for about 45-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare syrup. Boil until it thickens and reaches a texture similar to that of olive oil. Let cool.
- As soon as the cake is out, pour cooled syrup over it.
- Prepare cream. Boil 4 cups of milk and add sugar and lemon rind. Mix well until sugar is dissolved.
- Add corn flour dissolved in the remaining cup of milk.
- Mix cream slowly with spatula until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat, take out lemon rind, and let it cool, 7-9 minutes.
- Add beaten eggs mix till combined.
- Pour over cake and evenly spread with spatula.
- Garnish with roasted almonds and/or thinly-cut orange rind.