Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Yummy nugat. Lovely on its own or rolled in toasted almond slices.
- 1 cup hazelnuts, blanched
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) packages whole almonds, blanched
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add hazelnuts and whole almonds to cookie sheet. Toast until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add sugar, corn syrup, honey, salt and water in a heavy bottomed saucepot (3 quart).
- Over medium heat, stir mixture until sugar dissolves.
- Continue cooking, without stirring until syrup reaches the hard ball stage, reading 252 degrees F. on a candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile, in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- While mixer is on, in a thin steady stream, pour ¼ cup of hot syrup over egg whites, beating at high speed until mixture is stiff enough to hold its shape, about 5 minutes.
- Continue to cook the remaining syrup to brittle threads, reading 315 to 318 degrees F. on a candy thermometer.
- While mixer is on, in a thin steady stream, pour remaining hot syrup over egg whites, beating at high speed until mixture is stiff enough to hold its shape.
- Add vanilla extract, almond extract and butter, beating again for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in toasted nuts and ground almonds with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer mixture to a buttered 11 x 7 x 1 ¼-inch pan.
- Smooth the mixture evenly with a spatula.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Loosen edges of candy with a knife. Invert nougat on cutting board.
- Cut into pieces. Store in airtight container.