Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in a new cookbook that I just received called "Prevention's Diabetes Diet Cookbook'. These warm and tasty quick breads make getting out of bed worthwhile. The flaxseed contains soluble fiber like the kind found in beans and oat bran. I can't wait to make these for my dad who is a diabetic!
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole grain wheat flour or 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup blueberries
- 2⁄3 cup raspberries
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, flaxseed and salt.
- Add the berries and stir to coat.
- In another bowl, combine the milk, eggs, sugar, oil and almond extract.
- With a fork, beat until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture into the berry mixture and gently mix with a fork to moisten the dry ingredients (Don't overmix - a few lumps in the batter are normal).
- Dollop the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let stand for 5 minutes on a rack before serving.