Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Chef Grace Parisi's amazing, creamy vegetarian version of this dish.
- 20 ounces Baby Spinach, fresh
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated (or Cotija cheese)
- fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds, finely chopped (preferably marcona)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of water. Add the spinach by the handful; allow each handful to wilt before adding more. When the spinach is wilted, drain it, pressing out as much water as possible. Wipe out the pot.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the pot. Add the shallots; cook over moderate heat until softened. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the almond milk and simmer until very thick, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon into a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in the panko and almonds and sprinkle over the creamed spinach. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Serve.