Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here is alittle sweetie for those that crave a treat - Just have one cookie and you will be fine - even maybe 2 but no more. This is a Splenda recipe. Caution read the review abd then decide if you want to make them!
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute (or use real sugar if you dare)
- 1⁄3 cup blanched almond, chopped
- Prehat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet (or two) with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place egg whites in a totally grease free bowl and beat until frothy (medium speed) Add cream of tartar, beat at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Beat in the almond extract and the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time.
- Continue to beat until the meringue is shiny& stiff.
- Gently fold in the almonds.
- Drop by tbsp onto the parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, then turn the oven off, do not open the oven door and let the cookies sit for another 30 minutes Remove from the oven and cool ON THE BAKING SHEETS before trying to remove.
- Keep in tighly closed tins.
"A" for effort, but these really didn't cut it for me. I tried using Splenda in meringues before, and I think since sugar is such a major component of meringues, it just doesn't work with Splenda. I will say that at first taste, I was ready to throw the whole batch out, but I didn't. I am eating them and they are growing on me a little, but I still doubt very seriously if I would ever make these again. On the positive side, I learned that it is possible to beat egg whites too much (they got kind of grainy) and that I can't triple this recipe and keep it all in my Kitchenaid bowl.