Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 mins
I can't remember where I got this from, and have yet to try it but I love nutty granola with lots of dried fruit and goodies! It can be made as granola or another cereal.
- 4 cups mixed organic whole-grain flakes such as wheat, kamut, barley and oats
- 1 cup sliced raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the whole-grain flakes with the almonds on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spread in an even layer and toast for about 10 minutes, stirring once, until light golden. Transfer the grain mixture to a large bowl. Leave the oven on. Coat the warm baking sheet with one teaspoon of the butter.
- In a small food processor, combine the remaining one tablespoon plus two teaspoons of butter with the flour, sugar and salt and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the crumbs to the grain mixture and toss.
- In a small pitcher, combine the maple syrup with the vanilla and almond extracts. Pour over the grain mixture and stir until the grains are evenly moistened.
- Spread the granola on the buttered baking sheet in an even layer and toast for 12 to 14 minutes, stirring once, until golden and dry. Let cool completely, then stir in raisins and cranberries.