From Alice Medrich, baking Goddess...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 ounces blanched almonds or 7 ounces whole almonds or 7 ounces slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 -4 large egg whites
- 1In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine the almonds and sugar.
- 2Process until the almonds are very fine and the mixture is beginning to pack together around the sides of the bowl, at least 3 minutes.
- 3Add the almond extract.
- 4With the processor on, gradually add only enough of the egg white to form a ball of dough around the blade.
- 5With the processor still running, add only enough of the additional egg white so that the dough has the consistency of very thick, sticky mashed potatoes and no longer forms a ball.
- 6Form the cookies by either piping them or dropping them by spoonfuls onto parchment lined sheet pans.
- 7Use a finger or pastry brush dipped in water to smooth the tops, then allow to rest at room temp for 30 minutes prior to baking.
- 8Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- 9Position the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- 10Bake the cookies for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies barely begin to color.
- 11Rotate the pans from front to back and top to bottom about halfway through the baking time to ensure even baking.
- 12Slide the parchment onto racks and cool the cookies completely before detaching them from the parchment.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Macaroons
Serving Size: 1 (616 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 44.9
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 1.0 g