Recipe by Chabear01
Posted as taken from "The Ultimate Ice Cream Book" by Bruce Weinstein. If I am going to make ice cream, this is the book I go to. Almond paste can be found in the baking aisle of most supermarket.
- 1 (7 ounce) package almond paste
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the almond paste and sugar in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is completely smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the almond extract and salt.
- Bring the half-and-half to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Slowly beat the hot half-and-half into the almond paste mixture. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble. Remove from the heat and pour the hot almond custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the heavy cream. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. When finished, the ice cream will be soft.
- Stir 2 tablespoons water into 1/2 cup raspberry jam to loosen it up. Swirl the jam plus 2 tablespoons chopped toasted almonds into the finished ice cream. Take care not to overswirl or the jam will "melt" into the ice cream. Streaks of jam should be visible. Serve immediately or freeze until firm.