Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Because I love the taste of lemon and almonds together and a had a large zucchini to use up, I took a recipe from the Canada Bed & Breakfast Hosts and put my own twist on it.
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt or 2⁄3 cup fat-free lemon yogurt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups finely grated zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 6 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Beat eggs with a whisk in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, oil, yogurt, extracts, lemon juice and zucchini.
- Add flours, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Spray 3 small loaf pans with cooking spray and pour batter into loaf pans.
- Sprinkle each loaf with turbinado sugar and sliced almonds.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
This was a good bread, but a little dry. I added some extra lemon zest and used plain yogurt. I also skipped the topping, using some brown sugar only instead. I like the idea of almonds and lemon in a zucchini bread, but this was a bit dense--maybe my mistake since I used only one large bread pan since I didn't have small loaf pans, and it had to bake a bit longer. I used a recipe for 2/3 of the amount here, so maybe some conversion mistakes? A good overall recipe though. Made for PAC Spring 2010.