Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe calls for raw egg yolks in the filling, so make sure of your source before you attempt it.
- 1 cup blanched whole almond
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into bits
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice, plus
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon, zest of
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted lightly and cooled
- 1 cup powdered sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted lightly and cooled,for garnish
- Make torte rounds: In a processor, grind almonds fine with icing sugar.
- Add flour and blend.
- Add butter and blend until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Knead dough lightly with heel of hand so butter is evenly distributed.
- Form into ball and dust with flour.
- Wrap in plastic and chill overnight.
- Divide into 4 pieces and, on 2 baking sheets, press each piece into an 8 inch round.
- Bake rounds in the middle of a preheated 375F oven, 1 sheet at a time, for 10-12 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool.
- Make filling: Whisk together condensed milk and yolk.
- Add lemon juice and zest and whisk until thickened.
- Stir in almonds.
- On a serving dish, arrange 1 torte round, spread with 1/3 of filling and repeat.
- Make glaze: Whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice and 1 ½ tblsps hot water, until mixture is shiny and smooth.
- Pour over torte immediately, letting excess drip down side.
- Arrange almonds decoratively and let stand atleast 30 minutes, until glaze sets.