Recipe by MarraMamba
Delicious and reasonably low cal, i use splenda brown sugar instead of regular but otherwise keep to the recipe.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this as given, but without the powdered sugar topping, for a friend of mine who absolutely loves lemon cakes, & she was thrilled with this one, too! I am too, for that matter, having had a slice of it, & I'll be making it again before lone, just for the 2 of us to enjoy right here at home! Very, very nice! [Made & reviewed in Everyday Is a Holiday recipe tag]
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups ground almonds
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- confectioners' sugar, option
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom of the cake pan with wax paper and butter the paper. Lightly flour the pan, being sure to tap out any excess flour.
- Beat butter with brown sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well each time.
- Combine ground almonds and flour and stir into egg mix. Stir in lemon juice. Whip egg whites with cream of tartar to soft peaks. Fold the egg whites into batter in 3 additions.
- Spoon batter into prepared cake pan and bake approximately 35 to 40 minutes or until a pale goldish color and toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and peel off paper. Let the cake completely on a wire rack. Transfer cake to a platter and dust with confectioners' sugar (if desired).