Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
These biscotti are very easy to make, even for a novice. A couple of them broke while I was slicing them for the second baking and they tasted darn good only after first! From "Williams-Sonoma Italian Favorites."
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 teaspoons anise seeds, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole almond, coarsely chopped
- coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, oil, lemon zest, aniseeds, baking powder, vanilla and salt.
- Whisk to blend.
- Add the flour and almonds and stir until a dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 10 turns.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Form each half into a log 2 inches in diameter.
- Carefully transfer the logs to an ungreased baking sheet, spacing them well apart, and pat to even the shapes.
- Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar.
- Bake until firm to the touch, about 30 minutes (the logs will spread during baking.).
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Leave the oven set at 350 degrees F.
- Using a spatula, carefully transfer the logs to a work surface.
- Using a serrated knife, cut crosswise into slices 1/2" thick.
- Arrange the slices cut side down on the baking sheet.
- Return to the oven and bake until brown, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
I omitted the almonds and they were still really good. I had to tinker around with cooking temps to get the results I was after, but eventually succeeded. I didn't keep track of how I tinkered, but just want to encourage you to keep an eye on them so they don't get scorched.
I used grapeseed oil as the vegetable oil. I think the addition of lemon oil or extract or fiori di sicilia flavouring would enhance the lemon flavour. The anise flavour is very nice.