Recipe by MarraMamba
a traditional easter bread from russia. Shaped in the form of the cross traditionally it can be made in smaller shapes (given it calls for 2 lbs of flour you might want to halve it)
- 1 kg flour
- 1⁄2 liter milk
- 60 g yeast
- 5 eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 300 g butter
- 200 g peeled almonds
- 150 g raisins
- 1 lemon
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring milk to boil and cool down. Dissolve yeast in a part of milk, add 1 tb sugar. Stir in flour in the rest of milk, add yeast and mix thoroughly. Cover with towel and put in a warm place to rise til doubled.
- Kulich dough must be "coddled" and "cherished", the temperature of the dough must not less than 29-30°C
- Beat up 5 yolks with the rest of sugar. Melt butter, chop finely a lemon and a half of almonds. Add yolks, melted butter, chopped almonds and lemon, raisins, salt to the risen dough.
- At the end stir in beaten to a white foam egg-whites. Knead the dough carefully upside down.
- Grease the form for Kulich with soft butter, sprinkle with flour and pour in the dough half. Leave in a room to rise. When the dough is up to the top of the pan, brush the top with yolk and sprinkle with almonds. Bake in the oven 180°C The duration of baking depends on the size of Kulich and can last 1-2 hours.