Recipe by mollypaul
A traditional cookie from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup blanched almond, ground
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Cream butter or shortening until soft; add sugar gradually and beat until light and fluffy and all the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating hard after each addition.
- Add salt, ground almonds, flour and mix well.
- Cut into rounded tablespoon portions, roll on lightly floured board into pencil-shaped pieces about 4 or 5 inches in length, tapering each end.
- Arrange on prepared baking sheet into crescent shapes.
- Bake for about ten minutes.