Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
One I'll be making for Easter. From Bon Appetit, February 1998. Overnight chill time included.
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (about 2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For crust: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wrap outside of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides with foil. Finely grind cracker crumbs, coconut, almonds and sugar in processor. Add butter; process until moist crumbs form. Press mixture onto bottom and 1 inch up sides of pan. Bake crust until set and beginning to brown, about 12 minutes. Cool. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- For filling: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until smooth. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Mix in coconut and extract . Fold in almonds. Transfer filling to crust. Bake until cake is puffed and no longer jiggles when pan is shaken, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool completely on rack.
- For glaze: Combine 1 cup chocolate chips, cream and vanilla in small saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until smooth. Cool until glaze begins to thicken but can still be poured, about 30 minutes. Pour glaze over cooled cake; spread evenly. Chill cake overnight.
- Run small knife around sides of cake to loosen. Release pan sides.