Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 mins
These are a favorite!
- 4 cups shredded coconut (8 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) package milk chocolate pieces
- 1⁄4 cup white vegetable shortening
- 26 whole almonds, unsalted
- Line two large cookie sheets with wax paper.
- Set large wire cooling rack on paper; set aside.
- Place coconut in large bowl; set aside.
- Place corn syrup in a 1-cup glass measure.
- Microwave on HIGH (100%) 1 minute or until syrup boils.
- Immediately pour over coconut.
- Work warm syrup into coconut using the back of a wooden spoon until coconut is thoroughly coated.
- This takes a little time, and yes, there is enough syrup.
- Using 1 level measuring tablespoon of coconut, shape into a ball.
- Place on wire racks.
- Let dry 10 minutes.
- Re-roll coconut balls so there are no loose ends of coconut sticking up.
- Place milk chocolate and shortening in a 4-cup glass measure or 1 1/2 quart microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture can be stirred smooth and is glossy; stirring once or twice.
- Working quickly, spoon chocolate over each coconut ball, making sure to coat.
- While chocolate coating is still soft, lightly press whole almond on top of each.
- Let stand to set or place in refrigerator.
- Store in a single layer in airtight container.