Top Review by MizzNezz
What a wonderful way to dress up a cake mix!! I didn't want to mess with cutting up marshmallows, so I used 1 1/2 cups mini ones. It must have been ok because this was just great!! The top frosting is super good.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 24 large marshmallows (cut up)
- 14 ounces coconut, flaked
- 3 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- to taste almonds, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake: Bake according to directions on Super Moist Betty Crocker German Chocolate Cake Mix in 9"x13" pan. Grease and flour pan. After allowing cake to to cool thoroughly, slice in half, making two thin layers. Lay top half aside carefully.
- Center: Cut up marshmallows with kitchen shears, (rub blades with margarine to prevent sticking).
- Boil margarine, milk, and sugar together for 3 minutes. Pour over marshmallows until melted. Add coconut and stir.
- Spread this mixture over bottom half of cake. Sprinkle generously with chopped almonds, if desired.
- Replace top half of cake.
- Icing: Combine sugar, milk and margarine, cook to soft ball stage or until candy thermometer reaches 238 degrees. Stir constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips, add marshmallow creme and vanilla flavoring. Beat until well blended.
- Cool, (not very much). Spread on cake. Sprinkle entire cake generously with almond pieces.
- Cake is better if it sits overnight.