Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a Pillsbury Bake-Off recipe from the 50s. The Almond Joys are melted and mixed into the recipe. I expected a more chocolately brownie when I discovered this recipe and was surprised to end up with a "blonde" coconut brownie with only a hint of chocolate taste. Very good.
- 113.39 g almond joy candy bars (4 whole regular sized candy bars or 8 miniature candy bars)
- 118.29 ml butter (I prefer butter, but original recipe called for shortening) or 118.29 ml shortening (I prefer butter, but original recipe called for shortening)
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml chopped almonds
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 9-inch square pan.
- In medium saucepan over low heat, melt candy bars and shortening, stirring occasionally until chocolate and shortening are melted.
- Add sugar and vanilla; blend well.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in flour, salt and chopped almonds; mix well.
- Spread in greased pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool completely; cut into bars.
I've made these 4 or 5 times in the last two months for different parties and occasions and they are by far the most popular new item that I've baked. I don't even add the almonds if I don't have any...still goes quickly and have been asked for the recipe several times.
These were soooo good. I made for a family reunion and they were all gone before it was over! I melted some milk chocolate and lightly drizzled it over the bars..I did it before I cut them, next time I will cut first then drizzle because it started to come off the brownies when cut into! Thanks I will make this often!
Sinful!!! Really good (and really BAD :) ) I'll be making these again, even if I can't have them!