Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are so Yummy! They really do taste like an Almond joy candy bar. I usually make these for Christmas, but I tend to also make them for pot lucks or other family functions. These are a huge hit. Trust me, you will Love them!
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup melted margarine
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups toasted almonds
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Melt margarine,stir in sugar and graham crackers until all worked in together.
- Pat in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- while the crust is baking, mix the sweetened condensed milk with the coconut until all the coconut is incorporated with the sweetened condensed milk.
- I usually chop the almonds up as the bars cut easier when they are chopped rather than left whole, but that is a personal choice.
- When the crust is out of the oven, spread filling over the crust. Once the filling is spread, sprinkle the toasted almonds over the filling.
- Bake the bars for 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Once you take the bars out of the oven, I turn my oven off, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the bars and return to oven for a few minutes until the chips are melted enough to spread with a knife.
- I have found over the years that scoring the bars while the chocolate is still soft, helps when cutting the bars after they have cooled. Other wise when you cut the cooled bars, they don't seem to cut cleanly and neatly. I also cut them into tiny bite size pieces, they are very rich and by cutting them small, they go alot further.
These were wonderful and so easy! I entered these in a family dessert contest and they were a huge hit! Next time I will try making MOUNDS with dark chocolate and no nuts. Can't wait to try them again!
Good flavor, although the filling layer was to thick, and not enough coconut for the amount of condensed milk. Next time i will also put Hershey bars over the filling layer and melt it like that.