Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Notebook February 2006. This recipe needs to be started at least 6 hours ahead or up to 1 day in advance.
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 35 g gelatin powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond essence
- 395 g sweetened condensed milk
- lychees or honeydews or rock melons or watermelon or peach, peeled and cut into 2 cm pieces, to taste
- Place sugar and 2 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir throughout to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the gelatine over and stir until dissolved. Stir in the almond essence, condensed milk and 3 cups of water until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a 19 x 29 cm slice tin and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight until set.
- Using a sharp knife, cut jelly into 2 cm cubes. Divide among bowls with fruits.
Spectacular as a moulded jelly. I just plopped it onto a glass cake stand I found in a charity shop--then filled the centre with fruit. Everyone was bedazzled!! Thanks Missy.
This couldn't be easier. It is light, delicious and a wonderful way to end a Chinese meal. Thank you for posting this, I will certainly be making this again. I didn't have the large tray, so I set the jelly in invidual bowls and topped with the fuit.