I have been searching for the perfect recipe to make the jelly for this dessert but it always came out wrong and not to my liking. But now I've got it right after some experimenting and it has become a favourite in my home, even with my mom who hates almond jelly (surprisingly!). And the lemon really makes a huge difference, I love everything about this dessert! I hope you'll like it too =) If you can't find canned longan, you can substitute with canned lychees (litchi). Cooking/prep time does not include chill time.
- Combine milk & sugar, bring to a boil and stir frequently while taking care not to let the milk boil over. Turn off the flame.
- Stir in the almond extract.
- In a separate small bowl, pour in some of the hot milk & sprinkle in the gelatin powder. Whisk until dissolved with a fork.
- Return & stir the gelatin mixture into the rest of the hot milk.
- Pour into a square wet mould & store in refrigerator until set & chilled through (I usually make this in the morning or afternoon & leave it in the fridge until after dinner).
- Cut into little cubes or diamonds.
- In a large bowl, combine the longan & its syrup with the lemon zest & juice.
- Add in very cold water until the mixture is not too sweet (I don't like mine very sweet so I usually add in more or less a cup).
- Gently stir in the almond cubes/diamonds & scatter a handful of ice cubes if desired.
- You can also toss in a few split maraschino cherries, if you like!
- Put out serving bowls and let everyone serve themselves =) Enjoy!