1/1 Photo of Almond Jelly Chunks With Sweet Tangy Longan
I have been searching for the perfect recipe to make the jelly for this dessert but it always came out wrong and not to my liking. But now I've got it right after some experimenting and it has become a favourite in my home, even with my mom who hates almond jelly (surprisingly!). And the lemon really makes a huge difference, I love everything about this dessert! I hope you'll like it too =) If you can't find canned longan, you can substitute with canned lychees (litchi). Cooking/prep time does not include chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Almond Jelly
- 500 ml milk (I use 99% fat-free milk)
- 20 g plain gelatin powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
For the Longan mixture
- 1 (565 g) can longans in heavy syrup, chilled
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1Combine milk & sugar, bring to a boil and stir frequently while taking care not to let the milk boil over. Turn off the flame.
- 2Stir in the almond extract.
- 3In a separate small bowl, pour in some of the hot milk & sprinkle in the gelatin powder. Whisk until dissolved with a fork.
- 4Return & stir the gelatin mixture into the rest of the hot milk.
- 5Pour into a square wet mould & store in refrigerator until set & chilled through (I usually make this in the morning or afternoon & leave it in the fridge until after dinner).
- 6Cut into little cubes or diamonds.
- 7In a large bowl, combine the longan & its syrup with the lemon zest & juice.
- 8Add in very cold water until the mixture is not too sweet (I don't like mine very sweet so I usually add in more or less a cup).
- 9Gently stir in the almond cubes/diamonds & scatter a handful of ice cubes if desired.
- 10You can also toss in a few split maraschino cherries, if you like!
- 11Put out serving bowls and let everyone serve themselves =) Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Jelly Chunks With Sweet Tangy Longan
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.9
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 69.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
longans in heavy syrup