Recipe by Sharon123
A simple but oh so yummy recipe from the Almond Board of California.
Top Review by Annacia
Photo's may be seen here in the Savor gallery: www.annacia.com. I wish I could give this more than 5 stars. This has to be one of the very best hot chocolates I have made. The almond milk (which I most always have on hand) gives it a perfect body and consistency. I know that it's an oft used word but I can't think of a better one to describe the texture, it's pure silk. The taste is heavenly, the bittersweet is not wasted in this elegant cup of goodness. The single drawback (for me) is that it makes small cups. I used a smallish tea cup and it took most of the batch, when I have drunk some out I added the rest and I believe that it was less than 1/4 of a cup that I added. Don't be shy, double this recipe if you want two mug's. I promise, you won't be sorry. :D
- 473.18 ml almond milk (unsweetened)
- 170.09 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate)
- 4.92 ml unsweetened cocoa, plus more for garnish
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml almonds, roasted
- 56.69 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or semi-sweet)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chocolate and cocoa in a mixing bowl. Heat almond milk in a saucepan. Pour over chocolate and cocoa and whisk well to melt and make frothy. Stir in vanilla. If available, use a hand blender or hand mixer to make it even more frothy on top. Pour into mugs and serve immediately.
- Dust with cocoa to garnish and serve with Chocolate-Covered Almonds.
- Chocolate-Covered Almonds:.
- Place a metal bowl of chocolate on top of one inch of water in a small saucepan. Bring water to a low simmer; stir chocolate until melted. Remove pan from heat. Working quickly, dip half of each almond in melted chocolate. Let dry on waxed paper, and serve.
- To Roast almonds: Spread in an ungreased baking pan. Place in 350ºF oven and bake 10 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant; stir once or twice to assure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to roast slightly after removing from oven.