Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A must have holiday dessert.
- 3 cups ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 large orange, zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil or spray a 10 inch tube pan.
- Combine ground nuts with 1/2 cup of the sugar, flour, ground ginger and salt.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar on medium speed with the whisk attachment until thick and pale; about eight minutes.
- Stir in the orange juice, zest and candied ginger.
- Then fold the nut mixture into yolk mixture with a spatula.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form then gradually beat the last 1/2 cup of sugar into the egg whites until they are glossy.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolk batter and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature in the pan, then invert onto serving plate.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.