Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Everyday Food October 2005. Allow extra time for cooling.
- 2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus 1 teaspoon for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups unblanched whole almonds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, salt, almonds and ginger.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla; stir into flour mixture. (Dough will be very dry.).
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface; knead until smooth.
- Divide dough in half; shape into two logs, each about 1 inch high and 3 inches wide.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake until logs are puffed and outside is firm (the tops may crack), about 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Using a serrated knife, thinly slice the logs 1/4 inch thick.
- Lay slices on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until crisp and lightly golden, turning biscotti over halfway through, 20 minutes total.
- Cool completely before serving or storing.
These were amazing! I made them for my daughter's wedding reception & they were a hit. I did melt some white chocolate chips & spread it over the tops after they cooled.