Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
An odd fruit salad but pretty healthy and good when you want something sweet. The almond gelatin squares are quite good by themselves. Found in a Jane Fonda cookbook.
- 4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 cup red seedless grapes
- 2 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- 1 1⁄3 cups pineapple chunks (8 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- In a small saucepan, combine the gelatin and cold water.
- Add the boiling water and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in the dry milk and sugar and return to a boil.
- Stir in the almond extract and cinnamon.
- When the cinnamon is dissolved, pour the mixture into an 8-inch square pan.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm, about one hour.
- In a large bowl, combine fruits and orange juice.
- Toss gently to mix well.
- To serve, cut the gelatin into 1-inch squares; add to the fruit and toss gently.